Along the old railway

The length of the route: 30.0 km

Lem Church

The church, which is from the 1200s, houses very beautiful chalk murals. They can be found in the nave as well as on the chancel arch and probably originate in the time just before the Reformation in 1536.

Spentrup

The poet Steen Steensen Blicher was a priest in Spentrup from 1825 until his death in 1848, and here he wrote a number of his most famous poems and novellas, e.g. “E Bindstouw”. In Blicher’s memorial room in Malvina’s House, one can see some of his manuscripts and personal effects such as his desk. The house is named after Blicher’s much-beloved daughter Malvina who lived in the house after she married the administrator of the vicarage. Spentrup Church is a Romanesque church, constructed from granite ashlar blocks and with a late-Gothic tower. In the chancel arch, well-preserved chalk murals from approx. 1225 can be found, and the votive ship “Tordenskjold” was put on display for the first time in connection with Malvina’s wedding in 1838. Blicher’s burial plot can be found in the churchyard here.

Hvidsten

Hvidsten is first and foremost known for its royally licensed inn, which was founded back in 1634. Since 1884, the Fiil family has owned the inn, and today it is run by the fourth generation. Innkeeper Marius Fiil formed the Hvidsten Group in 1943, which was in charge of receiving weapons drops to the Danish resistance movement during the German occupation (read more under The Hvidsten Group).

Bjergby                                                                                                                                                 

Bjergby is an old village, and as it says in Danish it is situated on a hill. Today the town consists of 10 large farms and some few houses, and this has been the case during the last couple of centuries.

Borup                                                                                                                                                           

Borup Church has likewise been built of granite ashlar blocks in Romanesque style, whereas the tower is late Gothic. In the porch stands a rune store from the Viking Age. It was not found until 1995 under the bricked-up northern door, and the runic inscription goes as follows:”Ase (eller Æsi) rejste denne sten efter Thorgot, sin fader, Boves søn, den bedste Thegn” (Ase (or Æsi) raised this stone after Thorgot, his father, Bove’s son, the best thegn). A “thegn” is an aristocratic retainer or a person of high military rank.

Share this page

Parking:

Brotoften in Randers C.

Road surface:

Asphalt and gravel.

Estimated cycling time:

Approx. 2,5 hours.

Traffic conditions:

A few major roads are crossed.

Picnic stops:

Vorup Enge, Tøjhushaven and Doktorparken.